Friday, June 4, 2010

In the Western town of Eagle



Before I moved to Boise, I was talking to my freshly Idahoan sister as she drove to work. I remember it so distinctly, she said, "hold on, I have to let a duck family cross the street". I was immediately envious! I wanted to live in a place where ducks ambled across streets! Almost 5 years later we are finding more and more reasons to love Boise (and Eagle!) and are very confident in the choice we made nearly a half decade ago. And now, a male and female duck (mallards) have found refuge in our front yard. The female clearly has a hurt foot and the male is obviously very protective. We've been supplying them with fresh water and bread, hoping that she'll heal and they can rejoin their perfectly populated habitat over at the nearby duck ponds. For the time being we are keeping a close eye on them while trying to give them some space.

Do mallards typically mate for life? I think they must imprint on some level because the male is clearly in it for the long-haul. Chloe just about melted my heart when she said, "Oh, Mom. The daddy duck looks so disappointed... like Daddy looks when you're feeling sick and he's asking you if you're okay." After that statement I feel even more motivated to help these creatures... keep your fingers crossed for the power of compassion and the devotion that one sweet duck has for another!

No comments: