Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Picture books that deliver the goods:

Okay-- so I'm sick of the same old raves about the same tired books. I hate to hate but I must say that "Good Night Moon" makes my brain bleed and "Love You Forever", though sweet and precious rips my still beating heart out of my chest (literally: tears every time I read it). We all know that Dr. Seuss is an undying classic choice that always reads well and is fun and light but what about other books? There are a million-bazillion out there and let's be honest... many are severely lacking. Particularly peevish to me are the ones that try for a super complicated story-line or moral. Let's keep it simple. Readability matching interest level: pretty important stuff. So, here are my favs.... tested also by little Miss C (an expert, by the way). Please comment back with any that you consider to be all-encompassing... vivid pictures, strong rhythm, memorable characters, fun and whimsical with an undercurrent of meaning: whatever the category, please enlighten me!
(No particular order)
1. "And Here's to You" written by David Elliot and illustrated by Randy Cecil
2. "Farmer Brown Shears His Sheep: A Yarn About Wool" by Teri Sloat
3. "Barnyard Dance" by Sandra Boynton
4. "Old Black Fly" by Jim Aylesworth and Stephen Gammell
5. "Alphabet Soup: A Feast of Letters" by Scott Gustafson

2 comments:

9 of Us said...

Hi,
You don't know me, but I grew up with Maigan Van Ditto, and I happened to read your book post. My friend's mom has written a series of books for children that are just awesome. I have 5 kids myself and I plan on ordering some books for them. I have read the first in the series, and it is very different from many other books out there. You can check them out at www.zocketbooks.com. Enjoy.
Darcy

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blogs, keep them coming!